New Fairfield, Connecticut recently transformed two historic houses into mobile homes...
Through the efforts of Preserve New Fairfield and town leaders, along with a generous donation of the homes from a town resident, the historic homes The Parsonage and the Hubbel House recently made their 1/4 mile trips down the road to their new home, at the site of New Fairfield's future Senior Center.
View of the Parsonage being rolled out onto Route 37. The Hubbel House is further down the road, nearing it's new home. I don't think either ever quite made the 45 MPH speed limit...
The houses were moved on March 4, 2007, after a brief delay caused by the homes' trailers getting stuck in the mud in their original location. They now sit adjacent to their new foundations, awaiting the final prep work needed for them to be permanently situated.
The Hubbel House is an example of Greek Revival architecture, and is named after its first-known owner, Gideon Hubbel (1761-1838), who was a private in the Connecticut troops during the Revolutionary War. This house has had several owners and occupants over the years, including its time spent as a gift shop, a book store, an antique store, and even the offices of the Citizen News newspaper.
Here the Hubbel House sits on it's wheels, adjacent to it's new foundation.
The Parsonage was built sometime around 1840. This home had several owners before being sold to the Congregational Church of New Fairfield in 1903 for $1,000. It was used as the home of the church's pastor until the 1950's, thus becoming known as The Parsonage. During the first half of the 1900's, the home was also utilized for social and charity events, a woodworking group for boys, the Hobby Club for girls, and also as a teen center in the 1940's and 50's. The home was sold to the Cassidy family in 1960, who lived there until 2005. This home is also sometimes referred to as The Cassidy House.
Here The Parsonage rests on its trailer after making the trek along Route 37.
The two homes will be fitted onto the new permanent foundations and transformed into New Fairfield's first museums, showcasing town history and also that of Candlewood Lake, the largest lake in the state of Connecticut.
The homes as they sit today, awaiting their final placement onto their new foundations, just across the temporary bridge over the stream behind the future Senior Center.
The mud-encrusted wheels of the trailer underneath The Parsonage.
Connecticut Real Estate and Homes for Sale